This Blueberry Spinach Smoothie is the perfect no-cook, healthy breakfast any day of the week. Delicious and easy to make, it is a great way to get fruits and greens into your day right off the bat! Easily dairy-free and a quick breakfast or snack the whole family will love.
Is there anything better than an icy cold smoothie on a hot day? I think not! Smoothies have been one of my favorite low effort breakfast that are delicious, easy and a no-fail way of getting veggies into my family at the start of the day!
This blueberry spinach smoothie is the perfect balance of flavors and health, with tangy blueberries, creamy protein-rich Greek yogurt, sweet bananas and a handful of spinach to get goof-for-you greens. It makes for the perfect treat during the hotter months when you want something sweet, but also good for you!
Why this blueberry smoothie is so great!
Blueberries. Feel free to use fresh or frozen berries to make your blend…whatever you have on hand will work and makes this healthy smoothie perfect to enjoy year round! Plus, blueberries are loaded with iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and vitamin K.
Spinach. One of my favorite veggies to add to smoothies and baked good, spinach just disappears into this blend. Fresh or frozen spinach will work here too! Just use less (about 1/2 cup) if you go with frozen since delicate spinach wilts when frozen! And while no one needs me to tell them that spinach is good for you, it is awesome to know that it is rich in vitamins A, C and K, magnesium, iron and manganese.
Greek Yogurt. I’m a big believer in the benefits of making sure protein is part of breakfast! Plain yogurt is the perfect way to up the protein in this blueberry spinach smoothie and adds a lovely creaminess too.
Ripe Banana. Blueberries bring the tang, but ripe bananas bring the sweetness naturally without using added sugar to sweeten this smoothie up.
Suggested adaptations for making this veggie-loaded smoothie.
- Make it dairy-free by replacing the Greek yogurt with your favorite coconut yogurt and using your favorite plant milk.
- Add chia seeds to this blueberry spinach smoothie before blending.
- Throw in some ground flax seeds.
- Add a scoop of natural almond butter or peanut butter.
- Replace the blueberries with strawberries.
- Freeze leftovers as popsicles for a healthy dessert.
Tips for making this blueberry spinach smoothie extra awesome
- Blend it in stages. Especially if you don’t have a high-speed blender. Blending the spinach, yogurt and milk first will puree the spinach and make sure you don’t have any leafy bits in your smoothie.
- Make it vegan and/or Paleo by making it dairy-free (see above for suggestions on how).
- Adjust the sweetness to fit your personal preference. If you like your smoothies sweeter, add an extra banana to the blend. If you like them less sweet, reduce to 1/2 a banana or skip it all together in this blueberry spinach smoothie.
More refreshing veggie-loaded smoothie recipes…
- Easy Green Smoothie for kids
- Vitamin C Immune Boosting Smoothie
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie (with veggies)
- Sunrise Butternut Squash Smoothie
- Creamy Cauliflower & Blueberry Smoothie
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Smoothie (with greens!)
Did you try this veggie-loaded smoothie recipe and now you’re hungry for more?
Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach
- 1 cup milk of choice or to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt use coconut yogurt for a dairy-free option
- 2 cups frozen blueberries if using fresh, add ice to the smoothie
- 1 ripe banana
- dash of cinnamon optional
- Combine spinach, milk and yogurt in your blender. Blend until smooth and there are not bits of spinach left.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Taste. Add extra milk or some water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Enjoy immediately.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!