5-Minute Spinach Pear Smoothie
This pear smoothie is a perfect green smoothie to start your day. Made with ripe pear and nutrient-dense spinach, this easy smoothie recipe also features banana, cinnamon, and Greek yogurt. Ready in just 5 minutes, it makes for a wonderful veggie-loaded breakfast smoothie or snack.
Fruit and veggie smoothie recipes are what kicked off my own veggie-loaded journey and they continue to hold a special place in my heart and on our family menu. Sometimes I like a thick and creamy sweet potato smoothie. And my daughter fancies a blueberry smoothie over any others. And while we love all the smoothies we can think to blend up, we always seem to come back to the simplicity and goodness of a classic green smoothie recipe.
Smoothies are my favorite “fast food.” So easy to make. Endless possibilities. And a perfect way to add veggies. I will pair them with a muffin at breakfast, enjoy one as a quick snack, or even make them as an easy dinner next to some avocado toast or a PB sandwich on the nights I need something extra easy and fast.
This Spinach Pear Smoothie is delicious, easy, and made from just 7 nutrient-dense ingredients that might already be in your fruit bowl or fridge. Spinach is a veggie I always have on hand and is my go-to for easily veggie-loading meals, but especially smoothies. And the spinach is balanced perfectly with the sweetness of pear and banana (or mango!) in this recipe. This smoothie is done in just 5 minutes with no cooking required. Naturally vegetarian and gluten free, you can easily make this smoothie plant based and dairy-free with a few simple swaps.
Do you have some spinach on hand for this smoothie, but need to make sure it stays good? Be sure to check out my tips and tricks for storing spinach so it stays fresh all week!
Can I use frozen spinach in a smoothie?
Absolutely. Since spinach wilts down considerably in the freezing process, I would suggest adjusting the amount of spinach to 1/2 cup if using frozen.
Do I need to peel pears for smoothies?
Nope. Unless you really don’t like the skin. Pears have a lovely tender peel that easily breaks down in the blender and contains nutrients that only make this green smoothie even better for you.
Tips for making the perfect green smoothie
- Add the liquid to the blender first followed by the spinach. Blend this first so that the greens easily get pureed and are nice and smooth.
- Then add the pear and banana (or whatever fruit you are using) and other ingredients to the smoothie and blend again! This will help you to not end up with an unexpected chunk of veggie in a sip of smoothie.
- Adjust the amount of ice and liquid to achieve your desired consistency.
- Don’t be afraid of add-ins! I love adding peanut butter or chia seeds to a smoothie, but get creative!
- Use frozen spinach. Since spinach wilts down considerably in the freezing process, I would suggest adjusting the amount of spinach to 1/2 cup if using frozen.
- Use frozen pear. I love to freeze ripe pears so they don’t go to waste and are great in smoothies.
- Use frozen banana. Just leave a little ice out or add more milk or a splash of water.
- Use kale instead of spinach. Just be sure to remove the fibrous rib in the middle of the kale leaf and be sure to blend it well with the milk and yogurt before adding the other ingredients.
- Make it dairy-free & vegan by subbing the yogurt with silken tofu or plant based yogurt and the milk with dairy-free yogurt.
- Throw in some add-ins! Like chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, protein powder, honey, or peanut butter.
Other veggie-loaded smoothie recipes to try…
- 15+ Fruit and Veggie Smoothies
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Carrot Apple Smoothie
- Mango Kale Smoothie
- Chocolate Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Creamy Cauliflower Banana Peach Smoothie
Loving this pear smoothie recipe and are hungry for more?
5-Minute Spinach Pear Smoothie
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 medium ripe pear, core removed, skin on
- 1 ripe banana
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ice
- Optional add-ins: chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, protein powder, honey, peanut butter
- Add milk, yogurt and spinach to the blender. Puree until smooth and no chunks of spinach remain.
- Add pear, banana, cinnamon, ice and any optional add-ins you are using to the blender. Blend again. Check for desired consistency and add water or some more ice and reblend if needed.
- Blend until very smooth, pour into two glasses, and enjoy right away.