25-Minute Roasted Diced Sweet Potatoes
These Oven Roasted Diced Sweet Potatoes are the perfect veggie side to any meal. Tossed with a little oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried thyme before being roasted to crisp perfection for 25 minutes, these potatoes are the ideal balance of sweet and savory flavors. Perfect to enjoy with eggs + avocado at breakfast or your favorite cooked protein and a salad at dinner.
I adore veggies that are easy to make for meal prep and can double as a side dish for multiple meals. And, no surprise here, oven roasted diced sweet potatoes are one of my frequent flyers in the kitchen when I am trying to get organized for the week. Tasty, versatile…and the time to make them is primarily hands-off.
Sweet potatoes in all forms are a hit in my book. I often use them on their own as a simple, satisfying, hearty side. Or, I use them to add texture, color, and some depth of flavor when jazzing up salads or something as unexpected as a breakfast sandwich or burrito (breakfast or otherwise!). My oven baked whole sweet potatoes also work perfectly for this. Roasting the potatoes allows you to easily spread the sweet potato flesh onto virtually any sandwich. If you’re looking for something even quicker than my oven baked or roasted and diced methods, try my skillet diced sweet potatoes. In just 15-minutes, you will have chunks of beautiful, rich tasting sweet potatoes to add to all your favorite dishes.
Visual Guide: step-by-step how to make these roasted sweet potatoes
If you are a visual person, here is a picture guide for how the recipe should look at each step. Be sure to grab the exact measurements for the ingredients by scrolling down to the recipe card below.
- Change up the seasonings. Add cumin, thyme, paprika, chili powder, taco seasoning, cajun seasoning and/or black pepper — all go so well with these roasted sweet potatoes.
- Use less oil if desired. I found that 1.5 tablespoons gave the potatoes enough fat to get a crisp outside with a lovely flavor, but you could use 1 tablespoon if desired.
Recipe testing notes from Taesha
- Cut sweet potato into even pieces. This will help them to roast evenly. If you have some large pieces of sweet potato and some smaller pieces, the smaller pieces will cook faster then the larger chunks (and will likely burn).
- Cook until your potatoes are fork tender. Every oven cooks a bit differently (and often not true to temp! I’ve learned that during my years as a renter!). Some might cook faster than others. You will know your potatoes are done when you can easily spear a piece with a fork and they should have a lovely crisp browning on the outside. Also, don’t be afraid to taste a piece to make sure it is done to your preference.
- For crispy, roasted sweet potatoes, be sure to give your potatoes lots of space on the baking sheet so they roast instead of steam. Spread them out on two baking sheets if needed and DO NOT line your baking sheet. The potatoes need contact with the hot metal of the baking sheet to get that lovely crisp exterior.
How to store and reheat these roasted sweet potatoes
These potatoes are one of my favorite things to make as part of meal prep. They are easy to reheat and go so well with so many different kinds of meals.
- Fridge: Allow roasted sweet potatoes to cool completely before transferring them to an air-tight container and placing them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Allow roasted sweet potatoes to cool completely before transferring them to an air-tight freezer-safe container and freezing them for up to 2 months. Heads up: the freezing process draws out the water in veggies and I find that these roasted sweet potatoes are a bit softer after thawing.
- Reheating: If using frozen roasted sweet potatoes, allow them to defrost in the fridge overnight. Place thawed sweet potatoes in a 350℉ oven for 10 minutes or until warm — or pop them into the microwave for 60-90 seconds or until warm.
Other roasted veggies you’ve got to try!
- 25-Minute Roasted Delicata Squash Slices
- Super Easy Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 20-Minute Honey Roasted Parsnips
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Shallots
- 20-Minute Roasted Frozen Broccoli
- The BEST Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Slow Cooker Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 35-Minute Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes (Whole Sweet Potatoes)
- 15-Minute Crispy Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Roasted Air Fryer Broccoli
- 5-Minute Air Fryer Asparagus
Loving this roasted sweet potato recipe and now you’re hungry for more delicious veggie-loaded eats?
25-Minute Roasted Diced Sweet Potatoes
- 1½ tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- 2 pounds sweet potato, cut into ½ inch pieces. If your pieces are larger, they will take longer to cook
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 425℉.
- In a bowl, combine diced potatoes, avocado oil, salt, granulated garlic and dried thyme. Toss well so that all potato pieces are well coated.
- Spread potatoes out on a large unlined baking sheet. NOTES: Using a large unlined baking sheet is important in achieving crispy roasted potatoes. I find in testing that the potatoes need to have direct contact with the metal of the baking sheet to get that lovely crisp outside. And the large baking sheet is needed to give the potatoes room to roast. Crowded potatoes will steam one another as the cook instead of getting that lovely roasted texture and flavor. Spread the potatoes between two smaller baking sheets if needed. Yes, both of these recommendations might make for more dishes but it will also result in delicious crispy sweet potatoes…and that is what you are here for, isn't it
- Roast the potatoes for 25 minutes, tossing at the 15 minute mark. Your potatoes are done once they are fork tender and have a lovely brown crustEnjoy warm or let cool completely before storing in your fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days or in your freezer for up to 2 months.