Hunger brings out the crazies in kids…can we all just agree on that? Yes? Good. Let’s continue.
I remember when I first saw the “hangries” (you know, that special level of uncontrollable emotion that is literally brought on by something as minor as the cat meowing in their direction or the page in book not being turned *exactly* how they wanted it to be) take over my (then) young daughter’s body.
It. Was. Insane…….Screaming. Tears and snot. Kicking. And I believe all of it was over the tiara from her dress-up box not staying perfectly on her head. I was stunned and a bit scared. Until I handed her some apples with thinly smeared with a little bit of almond butter and all was well again.
Truly, the transformation between a raging hangry kid and satiated peaceful kid was remarkable….and enough motivation to always (ALWAYS) have snacks on hand.
Now, there are lots of people who feel iffy about snacking. And I get that. The snacks many of us were brought up and traditionally reach for (animal crackers, pretzels, cheese flavored crackers) are kind of just filling up the belly instead of actually feeding the body what it is actually asking for…which is nutrients and protein! Since moving our family to a mostly-Paleo way of eating a few years ago, our snacking game has totally changed! Out with the starchy crackers. In with real food, nutrient dense nibbles! Nibbles that a little growing body will actually put to good use! That will actually keep them going until their next meal….with their sanity (and your’s) intact.
Since The Great Tiara Incident of 2013, I have always had a mental list of healthy, kiddo-approved, and Paleo snacks to reach for when I notice that glimmer of hungry rage twinkle in my daughter’s eye. Do you know that glimmer too? Read on to check out my 20 Paleo snacks for kids and kiss the hangries goodbye!
Disclaimer: Thank you to Paleovalley for sponsoring this post! My promise to you, my readers, is to only promote content and products that I truly believe in and buy myself. All opinions stated in this post are my own.
1. Apple slices with nut butter
2. Hard boiled eggs
3. Coconut yogurt. I love this really easy homemade recipe that requires no added sugar. I like to stir a little collagen powder into the yogurt before serving for a boost of protein and top with seasonal berries!
4. Celery or carrot sticks with Paleo Ranch Dressing
5. Paleovalley turkey sticks. I love that these can be taken with you for easy snacks on the go, are full of protein with really clean ingredients, and are chocked full of probiotics to promote gut healthy in little bellies. Enter the Promo Code “nurture” for 30% OFF your entire order from now until June 30, 2018!
6. Nuts (walnuts, pistachios, almonds, cashews)
8. Guacamole with plantain chips
9. Sugarsnap peas, snowpeas, grape tomatoes or bell pepper slices with Paleo “hummus”
10. Seaweed (this is one of my daughter and student’s favorites)
11. Homemade Fruit Leather (its so much easier than you think!)
15. Banana with almond butter drizzle
16. Fruit kabobs
17. Paleo meatballs I love to make a big batch, freeze some and heat them up when needed! Perfectly portioned and full of protein!
18. Kale chips
19. Paleo granola with almond or coconut milk.
20. Sweet Potato “toast” with sliced avocado, nut butter or coconut butter!