Slow cookers hold a special place in my heart. They ask nothing from you except for a little shelf space to rest upon when they are not hard at work, cooking delicious and wholesome meals to nourish your family’s bellies. I suppose I could say my slow cooker is my kitchen wing man, helping me make score healthy meals for my family, but without me having to work too hard.
In all seriousness, getting and using a slow cooker is one of the best tips I could offer to someone trying to find the time to cook and eat healthy. Real food requires cooking (and dishes (ugh!)), but not everyone has a lot of time to dedicate to the kitchen. Right or wrong, that is just how our society is. People are running off to work. Kids are off to school, digging out from under homework, or racing off to their extra curricular activities. And parents, well they are just trying to juggle it all while keeping every fed and smiling. It’s no wonder so many of us drift in the direction of processed foods. Their convenience is enticing in our crazy, hectic lives. However, slow cookers can be the key tool in helping us find the balance between healthy eating and time management.
This is something you guys, my lovely and loyal reader, have asked for. You have this helpful slow cooker, but now what do you put in it? This list is full of great inspiration for all eating styles to help transform your slow cooker into your kitchen wing man too.
To help you guys find the best slow cooker recipes to fit your eating style and/or dietary needs, I’ve created this key to help you quickly sort through with recipes will work for you and which ones will not. Let the (slow) cooking begin!
GF= gluten free
DF= dairy free
NF= nut free
- Toddler-Friendly Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup from Yummy Toddler Food (V, GF, DF, NF)
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Taco Soup from One Lovely Life (GF, NF, DF)
- Crockpot Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili from The Natural Nurturer (V, DF, NF, GF)
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Veggie, and Quinoa Stew from Real Food Whole Life (DF, GF, NF) Suggestion: Leave the chicken out of this recipe to make it V
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf from Dessert Now Dinner Later (NF) . Suggestion: My homemade ketchup recipe would be lovely in this dish. Also, try substituting the brown sugar for some maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal from Super Healthy Kids (V, NF, DF, GF)
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew from One Lovely Life (GF, NF, DF)
- Crock Pot Pinto Beans from the Natural Nurturer (V, GF, NF, DF)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken from Real Food Whole Life (DF, NF, GF)
- Slow Cooker Quiona Brownies from My Whole Food Life (V, GF, NF, DF)
- Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken from Feel Great in 8 (NF)
- Crock Pot Tomato Sauce from The Natural Nurturer (V, DF, NF, GF)
- The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot from 100 Days of Real Food (DF, NF, GF)
- Crock Pot Spaghetti and Vegetables from My Whole Food Life (V, DF, NF, GF)
- Crock Pot Veggie Lasagna from Weelicious (V, NF) suggestion: use whole wheat lasagna noodles or brown rice lasagna noodles to make this dish GF
- Crockpot Lentil Tacos from The Natural Nurturer (V, GF, NF, DF)
- Hearty Split Pea Sausage & Sweet Potato Soup from Tried and Tasty (DF, GF, NF)
- Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon from The View from Great Island (DF, NF, GF option)
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole from Stock Piling Moms (GF, NF) Suggestions: Omit the sausage to make this dish V. If you prefer not to use frozen hash browns, you can easily shred your own in minutes with the use of your food processor.
- Sweet Potatoes in the Slow Cooker from The Natural Nurturer (V, GF, DF, NF)
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kicks The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest