15-Minute Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta
Done cooking in about 15 minutes and full of amazing flavors, this Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta is going to be a new favorite! Vegetarian and easily gluten free, enjoy this veggie-loaded pasta as a satisfying main dish or as a delicious side!
An easy vegetarian pasta recipe is kinda my move whenever I’m feeling iffy about what to make for dinner.
Simple + comforting + easy to veggie-load. Total win. And this Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta recipe might be one of our family’s new favorite dinner recipes! Quick to make, this pasta dish married the amazing flavors of savory sautéed mushrooms with delicate leeks. Tied together in a simple cream sauce made of broth, cream cheese and a little parmesan cheese, this veggie pasta recipe feels like a fancy dinner from a restaurant but is done in just about 15 minutes. Naturally vegetarian and easily gluten free, bump up the protein in this pasta recipe by adding in cooked chicken, sausage or shrimp to make it a main (it serves 4) or enjoy it as a tasty side that will serve about 6 people.
What kind of mushrooms should I use in this recipe?
I loved the flavor and texture of Baby Bellas in this leek pasta recipe, but just about any mushroom you have on hand or prefer will work.
Best kind of pasta to use for this leek pasta recipe
I liked this pasta dish best with small pasta shapes like bowtie, elbow, shell, orecchiett, or cascatelli (pictured here). However, this mushroom leek pasta will work with pretty much any pasta you prefer, including gluten free!
How do I cut and clean the leeks for this pasta recipe?
Sometimes people find cooking with leeks intimidating because they are unsure how to cut and clean them. It is super easy and I walk you through it here in How to Slice and Clean Leeks.
How to make mushroom leek pasta
- Add some spice. If you enjoy a little heat in your mushroom and leek pasta, add a little crushed red peppers flakes to the final dish.
- Add some extra protein. Add some crispy tofu, cooked chicken, shrimp, or sausage to this pasta dish.
- Make it gluten free by using your favorite gluten free pasta in this recipe.
- Use whatever pasta you like. I tested this recipe (and enjoyed it) with small shaped pasta, but it will work well with spaghetti, angel hair or fettuccine, too.
Other veggie-loaded pasta recipes you will love!
- Quick & Easy Creamy Broccoli Pasta
- No-Boil Creamy Vegetable Pasta Bake
- Pesto Veggie Pasta Salad
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- Baked Pasta with Eggplant
- 15-Minute Spinach Mac and Cheese
- Easy Veggie Pasta Sauce
Loving this mushroom leek pasta recipe and now you’re hungry for more?
Creamy Leek and Mushroom Pasta
- 8 ounces small-shaped pasta of choice
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups sliced and cleaned leeks , about 1 large leek or 2 small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup cream cheese, about 3 ounces
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Cook the pasta for 1 minute less than the package instructions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, add oil to a large skillet and place on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add mushrooms and season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until mushrooms are soft and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the sliced leeks. Sauté until softened and golden brown around the edges. About 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, remaining salt, and pepper, then cook for an additional minute to lightly toast the garlic.
- Stir in broth and cream cheese. Stir until a sauce starts to form.
- Add in the cooked pasta, sprinkle in the grated parmesan cheese, and toss to coat the pasta in the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add in another splash or two of broth to thin it back out. If your sauce is too thin, let it simmer for a minute or two to thicken up.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper, as desired. Serve warm.